Redemption Guidelines APPLICABLE BEGINNING JANUARY 24, 2016
- Redemption travel may not be reserved unless a sufficient point balance is available in the member's Amtrak Guest Rewards account at the time of booking.
- Points may be redeemed for travel in the name of passengers other than the member, but tickets and travel documents are non-transferable once issued.
- Up to two children (ages 2-12) may be redeemed at half the rail fare for each adult in the reservation. Infants (under age 2) may travel without a ticket, but if a separate seat is desired for an infant, points must be redeemed according to the child rate policy.
- Redemption travel may not be bartered, brokered, purchased, or sold, except under programs fully authorized and/or sponsored by Amtrak. A redemption ticket has no cash value.
Reward Ticket Modifications & Cancelations
- For modifications on one-way, round-trip or multi-segment reward travel, the following will apply:
- Points difference (to new prevailing fare) will apply in all cases with a 10% points penalty withheld on any fare difference returned to member
- If modifying a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional "close-in" penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive).
- For modifications to reward travel on a multi-ride ticket, the following will apply:
- Before first ride, a full exchange in point value will be issued without penalty
- No exchange value in points after first ride or after expiry—whichever comes first
- For modifications to reward travel on a monthly pass, the following will apply:
- Full exchange value in points prior to valid month
- No exchange value in points on or after first day of valid month
- For cancelations on one-way, round-trip or multi-segment reward travel, the following will apply:
- A 10% points penalty is assessed for any refund (redeposit) back to the member account.
- If canceling a non-sleeper ticket within 24 hours prior to departure, or a sleeper ticket within 14 days prior to departure, an additional "close-in" penalty of 10% of the points redeemed will be collected (waived for Select Executive)
- For cancelations to reward travel on a multi-ride ticket, the following will apply:
- Points are refunded minus 10% point penalty if unused and unexpired
- Redemption non-refundable if first trip used or if ticket expired
- For cancelations to reward travel on a monthly pass, the following will apply:
- Points are refunded—minus 10% point penalty—prior to first day of valid month
- Redemption is non-refundable on or after first day of valid month
- A "no-show" for any segment will result in forfeiture of points and travel for that segment, as well as all subsequent segments in the itinerary. A "no-show" is defined as a passenger's failure to travel on a segment from its origin without first canceling that portion of the itinerary.
Other Redemption Guidelines
- Amtrak's Duplicate and Impossible Bookings policy applies to all redemption travel.
- Redemption travel that begins at an unstaffed station and includes non-eTicket travel (e.g. some Thruway buses) must be booked at least nine days in advance of departure to allow for tickets to be mailed. Other arrangements, such as priority mailing or pickup at an alternate station, may be available by contacting the Amtrak Guest Rewards Service Center.
- Amtrak Guest Rewards points may be used to redeem for bicycle, golf club and pet reservations in conjunction with a travel redemption on select Amtrak trains. Auto Train priority vehicle reservation charges and other ancillary product offerings are not included with travel redemptions and must be paid separately where applicable.
- During peak travel periods, some departures are available at a higher point cost and some seats or classes of service may not be available for redemption. Members with Select PlusSM and Select Executive status may find expanded access to use their points for travel during those peak times. Members should log in to their Amtrak Guest Rewards® account before searching for available itineraries.
- Use of the Amtrak "Sleeper Waitlist" is not permitted for redemption travel reservations.
- All Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption transactions are subject to review, adjustment, or cancelation by Amtrak, in accordance with our Program Terms and Conditions.
- All rules and regulations pertaining to Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption travel are subject to interpretation or change without notice by Amtrak. They are published for the convenience of members only, and do not constitute contractual obligations of Amtrak. Please refer to Amtrak's Terms of Transportation for additional information.